26 Feb 2021
Inventors, researchers, and innovators will once again take the spotlight as the Department of Science Technology (DOST) through the Technology Application and Promotion Institute (DOST-TAPI) in partnership with the DOST regional offices officially opens the call for entries to the 2021 Regional Invention Contests Exhibits (RICE).
DOST Region V invites qualified Bicolanos to take part in this competition, to showcase their talent and ingenuity in developing innovative solutions, novel researches, and exceptional inventions amidst the landscape of national economic development.
The contest is open to all inventors, makers, designers, and professional & student researchers, who will compete in five categories: Outstanding Invention (Tuklas Award), Outstanding Utility Model (Unlad Award), Outstanding Industrial Design (Banghay Award), Outstanding Creative Research (Likha Award), and Outstanding Student Creative Research (Sibol Award) for High School and College Students.
Eligibility of Contestants:
▪ General Eligibility
- Six-month residency in the region they plan to compete in;
- Principal office address or school is in the region they wish to represent;
- Can join any of the five categories, as applicable; and
- Maximum of three (3) entries per category, provided that the main author/inventor per entry is not the same (subsequent entries per category will be removed/disqualified).
▪ For Invention, UM, and ID Categories
- Entries must have a patent, UM and ID registration signified by an IP Certificate (with ribbon) on or before the deadline of submission;
- Only the inventors, makers, and designers whose names appear in the patent/UM/ID registrations may join the contest. In case an invention/UM/ID has joint ownership, all members must sign in the accomplished entry forms, or sign waivers and other documents should they not join the contest
- Disqualification of one member would mean disqualification of the whole team joining the contest. Clear violation of any provision in the RICE Rules and Criteria constitutes disqualification
- If an entry is qualified in more than one region, they can choose one region to participate in based on eligibility requirements submitted
- All inventions/UM/ID that have won in previous RICE/NICE are no longer eligible to join in subsequent RICE/NICE in the same category
▪ For Creative Research and Student Creative Research Categories
- Entries for the student creative research are open for high school and college students; students must be duly endorsed by the school (either the principal, school head, dean of the college, or president of the school or university) where the students are enrolled in and where the creative research was conducted
- Out-of-School Youths are eligible to join; entries should be duly endorsed by the DOST Regional Office (RO) and/or DOST-TAPI accredited inventors’ organization in the region
- All creative research/student creative research that have won in previous RICE/NICE are no long eligible to join in subsequent RICE/NICE in the same category; however, those entries that have won under the Creative Research and Student Creative Research Categories may join the RICE under the invention/UM/ID categories, provided that such entries are now patented or registered at IPOPHL
- All creative research/student creative research may be applied for the DOST-TAPI Intellectual Property Rights Assistance Program (IPRAP); interested participants may submit their entries to DOST-TAPI along with the following documentary requirements: 1) Letter of Request for IPRAP, 2) Invention Disclosure Form, and 3) Preliminary Search Report
- In case of joint ownerships, all of the creative researchers must possess the general eligibility requirements
- If an entry is qualified in more than one region, they could only choose one region to participate in
▪ Contestants are required to submit the following to DOST-TAPI not later than 5:00 pm on 16 April 2021 through all means, including courier or email:
- One (1) copy of the completely filled-out and notarized RIC Form No. 01: Entry Form for Invention, UM, ID, and Creative Research Categories
- One (1) copy of the completely filled-out notarized RIC Form No.03-A: Entry Form for Student Creative Research Category Sibol Award
- One (1) copy of the completely filled-out and notarized RIC Form No. 03-B: Entry Form for Out-of-School Youths Student Creative Research Category
- One (1) original copy of the signed and notarized RIC Form No. 02: Waiver Form for Invention, UM, ID, and Creative Research Categories
- One (1) original copy of signed and notarized waivers RIC Form No. 04: Waiver Form for Sibol Award
- One (1) copy of letter of patent, UM, and ID registrations, as applicable
- One (1) copy of one-page abstract, description or drawings, pictures, and certificates
- One (1) original copy of a notarized RIC Form No. 05: Certification of Entries under the Creative Research Category (Likha Award), which signifies ownership of work that is new and original
- One (1) original copy of a notarized RIC Form No. 06: Certification for Entries under the Student Creative Research Category (Sibol Award), which signifies ownership of work that is new and original
- One (1) original copy of Certificate of Recidency from the Local Government Unit; and/or
- One (1) original copy of Information Sheet Conforme with Data Privacy Consent Form.
▪ All certifications and waivers or contest forms must be under oath and subscribed into by the affiants
▪ DOST-TAPI will pre-screen the entries based on the compliance requirements. All documents submitted are subject to final examination by DOST-TAPI RICE Secretariat and/or Board of Judges
▪ The Outstanding Creative Research Category (Likha Award) will be sub-categorized into government-funded and private-funded if there are three or more qualified entries in each sub-category.
Three (3) regional winners shall be selected per category (First, Second, and Third Prize Winners). All regional winners will receive a cash incentive and certificate of recognition. This regional competition serves as the qualifying round for the National Invention Contests and Exhibits (NICE), pursuant to Section 4 of the Republic Act 7459, or the “Inventors and Invention Incentives Act of the Philippines”.
Tara! Sali na! (DOST V / DOST-TAPI)